Devtoberfest Blog Posts
Got something to share with your fellow Devtoberfest participants? Write it up and share it in a post here!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
By popular demand, we will once again have a contest aspect to Devtoberfest. In 2021 we introduced the idea of earning points from a variety of different activities. This expanded the contest to a much greater number of community members.  Therefore, this year’s Devtoberfest contest will again use the same basic structure.

2023-08-18_08-57-30.pngIt will be a points-based contest.  Points are awarded for things like attending one of the educational sessions, completing certain developer tutorials tied to the topic weeks, or other activities that contribute to the SAP Developer Community. Prizes are awarded based upon SAP Community badges which you earn and you must have a public Community profile to participate.

The listing of activities, points, and other contest details is Coming Soon.

But the fun doesn’t end there.  We brought back the animated Contest Gameboard to help you track your progress through the contest.  Just add your SAP Community Profile ID (the one from people.sap.com - https://people.sap.com/#personal_info  - the value you want is the #personal_info part of the URL) to the end of the following URL: https://devrel-tools-prod-scn-badges-srv.cfapps.eu10.hana.ondemand.com/devtoberfestContest/scnId.Her....

And if you are curious how we built the animated gameboard, we have also released the whole thing as a Sample Code repository here.

IMG_7028.JPGWe also have digital prizes that you can win this year. But most exciting, we have a genuinely great grand prize again this year. It's an all-expense paid trip (see details below) to SAP’s Newport Beach office in California to meet with SAP leaders, product experts and an VIP experience at one of area's major tourist destinations. This grand prize includes:
  • Economy round-trip airfare during event specific dates
  • Single Occupancy Hotel Room during event specific dates
  • Airport transfer fees to and from major gateway airports during event specific dates
  • Meals during event specific dates
  • Theme Park ticket, meals, and transportation on specific date
You will need to earn points to qualify for a prize tier and then to be as fair as possible we will perform a random drawing amongst everyone that qualified for that level.  And as always be sure to review the legal terms and conditions. We also have an FAQ About the Grand Prize Trip.

All the possible points for earning activities and the value of each activity are detailed here (Coming Soon).

Complete tutorials, attend sessions, and solve code challenges you might be sporting a nice pair of mouse ears on your VIP prize trip!
118 Comments
thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

@ashweyth 

We loaded all the registration badges an hour or two ago.  So, it should be there unless you've registered since then. 

ALEJONO
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks @thomas_jung!

Radhey
Explorer
ashweyth
Explorer
thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

@ashweyth I do see your registration but no badge on your people profile.  I've forwarded to the badge team to have a look.  Do you by any chance have multiple accounts linked to your Universal ID.  If so it could be that you are logged into the SAP Community Groups with a different underlying identity that what is used on people.sap.com. If that is the case we generally recommend that people request a merge accounts to get all the historic activity onto a single lead account that is used with Universal ID.

0 Kudos

Hi, @thomas_jung 

I already merged the accounts.

Also registered to Devtoberfest group, still the gameboard is not working and badge is also not assigned

Regards,

Romil A.

ashweyth
Explorer
0 Kudos

Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 4.05.04 PM.png

Can see my gameboard now, thanks @thomas_jung and badge team!

Bartho
Participant

Excited about this year’s event 

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

@former_member122296 - your registration badge is there now.  

ipravir
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi @thomas_jung ,

RSVP is getting reset after page refresh. 

Regards,

Praveer.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

@ipravir "RSVP is getting reset"? Not sure what you mean by that. Can you provide more details?

VladiE
Participant
0 Kudos

😍

SMaaLL
Participant
0 Kudos

How will points be awarded for attending sessions?

VladiE
Participant

they will be post some quiz  ( like this "Validation tutorial for this session is now available : https://developers.sap.com/tutorials/devtoberfest2023-week1-abap-cap-overview.html   " ), and after the quiz you can get the points (I had same question)

Radhey
Explorer
0 Kudos

@VladiE 

any time duration for complete the quiz?

like day end, or after watching a video within 1 hr, etc

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

@Radhey - you have until the end of Devtoberfest to complete any and all of the activities. That's 11:59:59 p.m. PT October 15, 2023

ajithsrkmr93
Explorer
0 Kudos

@thomas_jung 

I am not able to see the game board. I have registered yesterday. Could you please help

ajithsrkmr93_0-1695104829592.png

Regards,

Ajith Sreekumar

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

@ajithsrkmr93 - If you just registered yesterday, please give it at least one business day.  The registration badges are loaded manually in batches.  But you won't lose any progress in the context in the meantime. Everything will retroactively be counted once the registration badge is assigned. 

rammel_sapdev
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi @thomas_jung,

Good day!

I have noticed that these 3 badges is not appearing in my account. Could you help to check? Thanks!

#FF00FF Create Database Table and Generate UI Service 
#9B30FF Enhance the Business Object Data Model and Enable OData Streams 
#BF3EFF Enhance the Business Object Behavior With Unmanaged Internal Numbering 

rammel_sapdev_0-1695131088207.png

SMaaLL
Participant
0 Kudos

It is intresting. A few hours ago I had X points, but now I only have Y(less).

Where did my points disappeared? Did I do something wrong? 😢

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

@rammel_sapdev - I reported that to the badge team and they are investigating

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

@SMaaLL There is no way in the contest to lose points by your action. Maybe in the backend someone assigned the same badge twice and then was cleaned up.  That's the only thing I can think of as a possibility.  If you let me know your SAP Community Profile ID you are using on the gameboard I can have a look. 

SMaaLL
Participant
thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

@SMaaLL - You are back to 6k now.  Someone changed the name of a badge, but didn't let me know and therefore the gameboard was looking for a wrong name. This is why the points went away (name change to badge).  Restored now that the gameboard is looking for the correct badge name again. 

SMaaLL
Participant
0 Kudos

@thomas_jung Thanks a lot 👍

rammel_sapdev
Explorer
0 Kudos

@thomas_jung, thank you for investigating on the missing badges. In case they need my gameboard link, here it is:

https://devrel-tools-prod-scn-badges-srv.cfapps.eu10.hana.ondemand.com/devtoberfestContest/r10m12l87

MarkusRest
Participant
0 Kudos

OK, Now two days in, completed tasks, and answered questions, but no points 😞

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

@MarkusRest When I look at your gameboard you have 3050 points currently. Devtoberfest 2023 (ondemand.com)

I also see the Devtoberfest badges on your people profile: SAP People

Where are you seeing no points?

vishalakshmi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Team,

I am able to see the below screen, 

vishalakshmi_0-1695332536352.png

@vishalakshmi.namuduri

vishalakshmi
Contributor

Hello Thomas_Jung,

I can see the board score 5550

vishalakshmi_0-1695332865928.png

@vishalakshmi.namuduri

scheinem
Explorer

Hi,

are there any info when the #petoberfest SAP Profile Badges will be sent out?

Thanks!

TMNielsen
Contributor

So it also happened to me - my SAP Universal ID got schizophrenic. Until yesterday it worked fine, but today I can not run the contest activities with my community user. 

When I lock into  the a regular Devtoberfest page like this page where I write this comment I get the SAP Unversal ID login page and after logging in, I get the list with my S- and P- users and most important my Community user. I Click my Community user ... and here I am, able to write this comment and do everything in Devtoberfest - or not every thing...

When I got to Devtoberfest 2023 - Contest Activities and Points ... - SAP Community Groups and click on a contest, I get to the chosen contest page alright, but I am not logged in, so I click on the small person icon in the upper right corner to login. And I get automatic logged in, but everything is still not alright because I am now logged in with some other user. I can not see which user is logged in, but I can see my email address, so it must be one of my P- or S- users or the user to my BTP trial.
Ok, so I tried to close all browsers and log directly into a contest page like 🟣 Devtoberfest 2023 - Low Code No Code, Week 2 - What's New in SAP Build Process Automation | SAP T.... This again open the Universal ID Login Page and I login with my Universal ID, but this time it does not present me to my list of linked users where I should chose my Community id. Instead it logges directly in. Again I don't exactly know which user is logged in, but it is not my community user.

What happens?

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

@TMNielsen 

For issues with Universal ID login into the community please use the Community Support options here: SAP Community - Support -- Specifically those under the "I have a problem with my SAP Universal ID account" section.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

@scheinem - The Petoberfest badges were assigned earlier today.

scheinem
Explorer
0 Kudos

@thomas_jung Yeah I was a few hours too early. The has arrived at my profile too already. Thank You for this cool #devtoberfest !

SMaaLL
Participant
0 Kudos

@thomas_jung Could you please check?
I passed #8B8B7A Tutorial but didn't get badge/points for that.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

@SMaaLL - I'm also missing this badge.  Seems to be some issue. I've forwarded it to the badge/gamification team to research. 

SMaaLL
Participant
0 Kudos

@thomas_jung Thanks.

It hepled. I have got it.

Florian
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI @thomas_jung ,

may the team have a look why these tutorials does not count for me?

Florian_0-1695836574660.png

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

@Florian - I sent them the information.  It looks like you completed this mission group (RAP100) back on this date: "2023-05-12T09:05:35.381+00:00".  So you should have gotten the Devtoberfest badge for it.  They will research. 

SMaaLL
Participant
0 Kudos

@thomas_jung Sorry to bother you again. Could you please check?
I passed quizzes for #008080, #43CD80, #FFC0CB Sessions but didn't get badge/points for that.

aancos_id2
Participant
0 Kudos

@thomas_jung 

I have several tasks completed and the points have not been added.

#FFE4C4 - Devtoberfest 2023 - Create an API Provider System
#FFC0CB - Devtoberfest 2023 - Set Up SAP Business Application Studio for Development
#0000CD - Devtoberfest 2023 - Install the MultiApps Cloud Foundry CLI Plugin
#CD00CD - Devtoberfest 2023 - Get Ready for UI5-Development on Your Local Machine
#9A32CD - Devtoberfest 2023 - Create an App for SAP Build Work Zone, standard edition
#B452CD - Devtoberfest 2023 - Display Data from the Northwind Service
#6959CD - Devtoberfest 2023 - Add Rich Enterprise Controls to the User Interface
#00BFFF - Devtoberfest 2023 - Run the Sales Order Business Process
#B0E2FF - Devtoberfest 2023 - Design and Deploy Your First Integration Flow
#C6E2FF - Devtoberfest 2023 - Expose Integration Flow Endpoint as API and Test the Flow
#008080 - Devtoberfest 2023 - Build your own React application with UI5 Web Components for React
#43CD80 - Devtoberfest 2023 - ui5-test-runner v3

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C2731GQ3-aKmwj6W2SE2BDzZ-TA8P7Dt/view?usp=drive_link 

I can't do the tasks again, any solution?

Thanks in advance!

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

@aancos_id2 and @SMaaLL - I will report those to the tutorial team.

Alpesa1990
Explorer
0 Kudos

@thomas_jung 

Hi Thomas!

I have the same problem that other user. I have completed the item but i didn´t get the budget.

#43CD80 - Devtoberfest 2023 - ui5-test-runner v3.

#CD2990 - Devtoberfest 2023 -

#68228B - Devtoberfest 2023 - Collaborate to Build S/4HANA Extensions Using SAP Build and ABAP

Could you add my case to check?

Thanks! and congrats again on the event. Top!!!

harsh_itaverma
Participant
thomasks
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi @thomas_jung ,

Good day!

Wanted to check with you, how long does it take for the points to reflect on the gameboard after receiving a badge for a session? 

I completed a few courses yesterday and received the badge, but don't see the points being updated. The score has been frozen since the evening of yesterday( 8th Oct EST ).

And weirdly I got badges for 2 courses overnight which I haven't even accessed

• #F0F8FF - Devtoberfest 2023 - Improve User Experience of the List and Detail Page
  • #00F5FF - Devtoberfest 2023 - Create an Empty SAPUI5 Project

Could you please check. Cheers!

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

@thomasks - I only see one missing and that was #68228B - Devtoberfest 2023 - Collaborate to Build SAP S/4HANA Extensions Using SAP Build and ABAP. There was a mismatch in the badge name so it wasn't getting points. I don't see anything else missing - devrel-tools-prod-scn-badges-srv.cfapps.eu10.hana.ondemand.com/devtoberfest/profile/thomas.steaphen

Do you know what other courses you completed that you feel aren't showing up?

thomasks
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi @thomas_jung 

Below are the courses that are completed with badges received but don't reflect in the Dashboard.

#D2691ECapire: Introduction, enhancements, and facilitating the development process
#292421Create a CAP Project with SAP Business Application Studio
#9B30FFEnhance the Business Object Data Model and Enable OData Streams
#8B7E66Deploy an App to SAP BTP, Cloud Foundry runtime
#8B795ESAP CAP in Flight: BTP Cloud Foundry Automated Deployments with Azure DevOps
#3CB371Combine event driven programming and EDA with SAP S/4HANA and Advanced Event Mesh
#8B8970Deliver SAP Integrations faster with Figaf
#CAFF70Generative Test Driven Development (gTDD) with ChatGPT for SAP Integration Suite
#68228BCollaborate to Build S/4HANA Extensions Using SAP Build and ABAP
thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

@thomasks 

You said you received the badges for these?  "and received the badge,"
But I don't see these badges on your profile. Are you sure you've received these badges?

68228B - is fixed now. But the I don't show that you have any of the other badges.  Completing the tutorial but not getting the badge is a completely different situation. 

thomasks
Participant
0 Kudos

@thomas_jung 

Yes, I checked the email for all those 8 courses from yesterday and it says earned a badge for competing in all 8.

Attached are a few of the snapshots.

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 2.52.30 PM.png

Top kudoed authors