cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMPV - Implications of opening next period +1 during monthend close

jaytee
Explorer
0 Kudos

I am looking into a scenario on our ECC system which was configured by a predecessor (who did not have a significant background in MM or FI) whereby the "next +1" period is opened via MMPV/RMMMPERI during the monthend close cycle. This was in response to a request from the business (which should have been challenged harder in my opinion!) to allow MIRO invoice postings into the period following the current one,

So during the P1/January monthend close cycle for example (on the 5th working day of February) the final two steps are to open P3 for FI and then for MM. The MMRV setting to "allow postings into prior period" is active, so it is still possible to post into the current period P2 (and P2 is also open in FI/CO). However what this means is that for the majority of P2 (according to MM), P2 then becomes the "previous period" - when in fact it is the current open period.

What I'm trying to work out is whether this causes any major issues. We don't have Product Costing, which as I understand from https://community.sap.com/t5/enterprise-resource-planning-q-a/running-mmpv-before-month-end/qaq-p/79... would be a problem. Material ledger is also not active (although there are some entries in MLHD/MLIT from MR21 price changes for example. I can see that MBEWH is being populated with entries from the current period (which doesn't seem right as it is a history table) but can't determine whether this is actually a problem or just an inconvenience. Logically then when you look at the valuation data in the material master the data for the current main open period (ie. P2) you are seeing P2 values in the "Valuation Data for Previous Period" section.

The link above also mentioned MB5L selection screen having Current Period or Previous Period as options. I guess this becomes an issue if you need to run the report for P1 in my example.

Does anyone have any other thoughts/concerns on this setup?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

DominikTylczyn
Active Contributor

Hello @jaytee 

That process might bite you when you convert to S/4HANA where material ledger is obligatory for valuated materials:

Best regards

Dominik Tylczynski