cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Report / PrintOutputController.ModifyPrinterName with Kyocera KX Driver

Hi,

when setting PrinterName using rptClientDoc.PrintOutputController.ModifyPrinterName(PrinterName) with current Kyocera KX Driver (eg Kyocera TASKalfa 3554ci KX) we get an exception "Invalid printer specified".

The problem is also reproduceable with the Printer-Test-Tool (RAS2010_Printing) => Button SetPrinter.

Tried with SP31 and SP35 on different machines. Always the same problem.

It works with Kyocera PCL-Driver, but the Admin wants to use the KX-Version.

Is there a known problem with Kyocera KX-Driver?

Best, Gottfried

View Entire Topic
DonWilliams
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I downloaded and installed that printer and ran in my main test app and I get this error:

DonWilliams_0-1715014910366.png

Seem the printer has issue in VS using the Framework to handle printing.

Often when this type of error occurs it's can be due to your Use account doesn't have rights to access all properties of the Printer, see if your IT department can log into your PC as a Local Admin and run VS by right clicking on it and selecting Run as Administrator and see if that works.

Otherwise as suggested use the Universal print driver.

I also tested by previewing the report and using the Viewers Print button, it uses PrintToPrinter() as the default printer API and it too generated the same error.

I would suggest you report this issue to the Makers of the printer and see what they can do for you.

HML
Explorer
0 Kudos
Of course I can't rule out a driver problem, but I don't think there are any permission related problems. The error is reproducible with different printer drivers on my development machines and also on my test VMs. I am local admin on all machines and ran VS and our application as admin as well. I just wonder why this problem only occurs with Crystal Reports. (by the way: Everything is fine with Crystal Reports 8.5 either 😉 ) In our case, using other drivers is not an option unfortunately. There are hundreds of customers using our software and we have no control of the printers and printer drivers. I will do more tests using your test application. 🙂
DonWilliams
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Back when we support C++ using crpe32.dll directly we had a lot of issue with some HP printer drivers. We would use the DMExtra properties directly by assigning a block of memory etc. and setting the memsize to what it required. This query caused the app to crash. Discovered that call had to be set to zero. CR is C++ based and most DLL's are either COM based or wrapped around crpe32.dll so newer drivers don't always follow the rules...